I come from a multi-generational family of therapists and psychologists, I have grown up in this environment all my life and “breathed the air” of psychology, so to speak. I help couples learn better communication skills, manage conflict, and recover from infidelity. I’m a therapist in private practice and am one of a handful of therapists who have completed Level 3 Practicum Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
Start repairing your relationship from the ground-up.
To get started, download a free PDF to help identify if you are struggling with a difficult spouse. This is the first step towards discovering if your work begins with both of you, or just yourself.
The Benefit of Experience
Over the past 20 years I’ve been reading, researching and pulling together some of the most relevant issues and solutions to relationship problems.
About David Lechnyr
I’m a therapist in private practice based in Eugene, Oregon. All of my sessions are provided by teletherapy, so you can connect from the comfort of your own home.
Here are some commonly asked questions
What are sessions like?
During the first session, we’ll meet together to go over the struggles you’re facing. If you’re attending with a partner, we’ll then each meet individually for one session to dig deeper into the relationship issues. Finally, we’ll meet together to review the next steps for repairing each area where your relationship is faltering.
What is a Difficult Spouse?
Besides the obvious, signs of a Difficult Spouse include:
- When they make a mistake, they overreact, either exaggerating their guilt or searching for excuses to absolves themselves of any blame.
- They show concern for me and my problems and feelings only after you’ve complained about your problems and feelings being ignored.
- They initiate an activity or outing only if it’s something they want to do.
- They find it extremely difficult to express their feelings.
- They refuse to accept ownership of their faults and find it almost impossible to say, “I’m sorry”.
- They gets defensive or always has an excuse for why they didn’t do what they said they were going to do.
- and more…
Can you bill insurance?
Most insurance plans won’t cover the cost of couples’ or marital therapy. That being said, there are exceptions and the world of health insurance is changing. This is one of the things we will examine the options for during your first appointment.
What if my partner refuses to change?
In that case, it’s absolutely critical that you attend therapy by yourself. Without learning boundaries and understanding the fears that keep you stuck from being assertive in the right way, your situation is unlikely to change.
Easy, Online Scheduling
In order to accommodate your schedule, I provide online scheduling through my website. This minimizes coordination and also allows you an opportunity to fill out the necessary forms electronically, without needing to download or print anything.